Irrational Fear

I rode a bicycle for years before my stroke that left me paralyzed on my right side. Then my cycling friends bought me a tri-cycle and I felt free again. But last year I broke my right ankle while riding but after six weeks I got right on the trike again. Last week, while riding, I thought I broke the same ankle again. It was only a sprain but now I am scared to ride again. I

your fear may not be so irrational, you did not mention how you twice broke your ankle did you fall as a result of a balance issue or from trying to steer using one hand? in that case is there something that can be added to you trike like a wheel with a steering ball that may make it easier for you to handle?

No fear is irrational especially after a stroke. I have never had the slightest fear of dentists, in fact, i used to fall asleep through root canal, but after brain surgery, the thought of anyone coming near me my head with a needle or a drill completely puts me over the edge. We seem to gain a new perspective on how fragile ina sense we are, especially because we were just chugging along as usual and didn't see it coming, so now we are more careful...waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Good luck and I give you a lot of credit for taking the iniative to get back on that bike twice to begin with :You-Rock

Chuck,

I can not put any emotional titles on what happen to you but I will say, in my opinion, its like getting back upon the high diving board. Don't get down or be afraid of a flop, you got to do what you know how to do to ride your bike or trike. I ride a 3 wheel electric mobility scooter which I have a great amount of respect for. So, I don't do grades or inclines greater than 8 degrees or turns on a dime because it can and will tip over when not handled properly.

My suggestion is check out your procedures and see if you are at fault. Then if a modification is needed please get it done the soonest for your safety.

Charles, maybe you can talk to a physical therapist and see if they recommend a specific pedal or some device for you. Also when rididng maybe an ankle brace, even the slip on or wrap around type to give that ankle more support.

Is the pedal at the correct distance for you? Maybe it needs some adjustments. again if you could talk to a PT and maybe take your trike with you they could give some good directions and ideas.

chuck, i think it is great you are back on the bike. i feel fear is common with strokers. perhaps because we don't want to hamper our recovery with another set back. a broken ankle would definitely impair your walking ability and possibly cause you to fall. not good. just be careful on your bike and use common sense and make sure the bike is equipped with what you need to be safe. good luck and happy riding.

kanderson

:I-Agree: I agree with Bonnie and Kimmie on this and the ankle support sounds like a good idea. But safety first always. You know that saying, "Dust yourself off and try again" I think it's a positive thing to follow that but you definately don't want to break the ankle again. :bicycle:

Be safe and be well! :scooter:

Maybe trying a staitionary bike would build your confidence.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I got on the trike again today and my foot didn't fall off. I rode for 10 miles and at first I was scared sh-tless. I kept my eye on my right foot just to be careful but my foot didn't come out. I am more careful now and I changed pedals.

Once again thanks. This board is a great place for support!

chuck,

woooohoooo, you did it, great job. i bet it was a great feeling, huh and alittle scary maybe. enjoy the rides and be safe.

kanderson

Isn't overcoming fear a FABULOUS feeling?? Getting some of that independence back too; boy can I relate to that one!

10 MILES!!!! WOW!!! :congrats:

Susan :)

I've done up to 30 miles on the trike but I was SO TIRED afterward that I took a nap for six hours. It was two years ago, we were in Door County Wi. and I took a ride with my son Brad and I was so happy to see the house we were staying in that I cried.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i too loved riding my bike prior to my stroke. post stroke bought a three wheel recumbent bike - bright red! i had troublekeeping my left foot - the affected side - on the pedal. i changed the pedals to have the shoe lock type like pro riders and bought the bike shoes that lock into the pedals. my foot never slips now and i ride with confidence. when i finish riding i just use my hand to jiggle my ankle and my foot is free. the bike shoes were about $35 at the bike store and the pedals about $15.. hope this gives you another idea! cheers!!!!![

Hi Chuck,

I think fear is a defense. Keeps us on our toes. a nice place for our weak ankles

I feel you are trying to protect yourself and rightly so.

My PT tells me it's when our confidence is high that we're most at risk for falls or injuries.

How about try a stationary bike for a while just to keep your muscles in shape, then have someone take you and your trike to a deserted mall. Have your driver stay with you for safety;take your cell phone. Ride, ride ride. Keep practicing in empty safe places.

It should build your confidence back up.

Hang in there.

My best regards

Mljmsw

woohoo, good for you, the pedals with the special shoes sound good, I'm sorry I'm no help, I can't keep bad foot on pedal on stationary bike,very long and once my attention shifts it falls off, just stay safe, :Clap-Hands:

chuck, i am so happy for you. i know when i was in therapy the last time i had to do the stationery bike to build up my affected leg and we had to rig up a velcro strap to keep my foot on the peddle, but it worked and was fun to ride again and great exercise. keep up the good work.

Thanks for all you're support. I've tried different pedals and I've returned to the clipless type as mcsaul suggested. I went for a ride over the last week end and rode 15 miles. It was great!

• 4 weeks later...

Chuck -

15 miles? :yikes: That's awesome! Talk about keeping in shape and getting exercise! You are an inspiration my friend!

:sleazy: :congrats:

• ksmith pinned this topic