Toe issues

I'd been walking fine and unassisted for the past 2 years I'm 2 1/2 years post and the last month or so was having shin pain. My toes also seemed to be curling up under my foot as I walked.

I asked my therapist to check it out, he said my leg was fine, and he saw nothing wrong. I was most likely just trying to walk too fast. I slowed down a bit, but that didn't seem to help. I then determined that it was likely due to my ankle being weak and bought an afo for ankle support, which helped with the shin pain, but not with the toes.

My toes are fine when my foot is at rest, I've never had any contracture in them or issue with them or my foot before.

My self diagnosis (which obviously I do often) at this point is that my supination to compensate for my lack of balance is causing them to turn under. Has anyone had problems with their toes like this? If you can even follow this

Yes I have the exact same problem, the spaticity is the cause of mine,I've had numerous botox injections,and even have the baclophen pump,but what has helped more than anything is having custom orthotic insoles made for my shoes, on my orthotics they built up wt the doctor refers to as a toe pillow which suports the arch in your toes, thus for eliminating the toes curling under,but one other product I used first was a silicon toe crest sold by sammons preston,I suggest starting with the toe crest from sammons because it works and is only about $20.00.

http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply/Produ...eaf_Id=55000406

Good Luck&God Bless,

Tom

HI! I DO. I USE ANTI-SHOX HAMMER TOE CRESTS. THEY HELP RELIEVE PAIN CAUSED BY HAMMER TOES. THE ELASTIC SLING RESTS AROUND YOUR 2ND OR 3RD TOE, HOLDING THE TOES IN A RELAXED POSITION AND RELIEVING PRESSURE.

RECOMMEDED FOR TOE PAIN BY FOOT.COM THE FOOT HEALTH NETWORK. CHECK IT, NOW.

BYE. PATTY

maria, i too have a problem with my toes curling under on my affected foot. i don't have it while walking that i notice anyway and i also wear an afo. i see it more when i am just standing up without my shoe on while getting dressed. it is all due to the nerve that is affected by stroke and causes dropfoot, according to what i've read anyway. if you find a solution that works, please let us know.

I also get it but I attribute to balance issues, usually nmost pronounced barefoot like after a bath or shower.i may try some of these ideas to do once i am dried off

I just ordered a toe crest

I'll keep you guys posted on how I make out with it

my toes and I thank you :thankyou: :I-Thank-You:

• 5 months later...

Hi there anniesgirl73,

An AFO or ankle foot orthodic is a custom-made brace that is worn to help with foot drop as well as curling of the toes. It also provides the affected foot and leg with added support to facilitate walking. I am 3 years post; without mine I would be smelling my carpet several times a day as well as break my nose. I saw this was your first post. I'd like to also encourage you to post an introduction within the Caregivers Forum.

Ray also has the foot curling problem and the doctor said it is the nerve damage. As he has had multiple strokes and diabetes he has a lot of damage, the equivalent of peripheral neuropathy. I massage his feet when I cut his toenails but as his feet are tender also I can only do this in a very limited way.

I will make enquiries about the toe crests and see if this improves it for him. He has worn an AFO for eight years, only wears the one pair of shoes and still has balance problems. He has had a lot of PT and does exercises at home but nothing seems to improve his balance. But I'm just glad to still have him here.

Sue.

I had the same thing up until 14 months post stroke, and only on my unaffected leg (go figure). It's now gone unless I'm in barefeet on a tight carpet like a Burber, don't know why that would make a difference.

Hello all, haven''t been here in a long while-just due to personal and family problems but came back last night trying to do some reading catch up and had to reply to this topic since my affected foot (toes) have been curling under when I first started walking again. I had a brain bleed in August, 2003 affecting my entire left side- learned to walk again but still cannot use my left arm/hand. My toes curl under,I'm told because I have terrible spastictiy, its the worst when I allow myself to get nervous/anxious and walk. I have real good balance (thanks to excercise I'm sure) and like Tom , I at one time was taking Botox injections w/the hopes that would help the toes some(and fingers-they curl in as well) but the shots did no good so I stopped them. No sense in paying for something if its not working. When I finally had a new/different AFO made-the moveable-hinge type(gosh i forgot what this type is really called!) but they were suppose to add something to the AFO that would help but they didn't, and I don't want to go back and have to go w/out my lovely AFO(which i really need it to walk). But, I find it kinda odd that your having this problem this long after your stroke, it seems if it were that" rotten"spasticity you would had been bothered w/it before now, your best bet, it seems might be to get it checked out. But just for the record, itsn't it terrible when one is trying to walk and their toes curl under?

Tom:I'm going today and order me some of those "toe crests", will post back on how they help.

Isn't this site so informative?.....thanks Tom....good to see that your still around and I see Fred is motor scooting doing what he does best-making newbies feel welcomed......rosejill

And a BIG hello to you rosejill,

Thanks for thinking of me, we missed your posting on the board. I wanted to try the botox too but now reading what you have to say I may pass. My bleed was about 5 months after yours and I'm about the same condition. Lots of balance but not much use of hand or arm. Spasticity is present in leg and all of my left side.

Now my toes are ok but the big toe is gone west, doesn't hurt just turned inwards. I concentrate on bending my knee to help lift my foot. So I'm not tensed up when my foot hit the floor.

Archived