Slips and falls

Since I had my stroke I have lost my balance on several occasions. I've fallen in the bathroom causing a big lump on my head, nothing major though, thankfully. Yesterday, I was walking down our stairs in my socks and I slipped and fell. I landed on my rump, side and arm. I have a nasty carpet burn, bruise and scrape on my arm and my side and bum is really sore. I don't know if my side or bum are bruised and I'm afraid to find out. I learned a valuable lesson! Either wear slipper socks, slippers or shoes around the house!!

Yes, please be awfully careful. I haven't had a full blown fall for over a year but have "come close". Unfortunately we learn the hard way. For me, I've learned I can no longer multi-task - ie walk and talk at the same time as it's a sure fire way to end up smelling the carpet.

Well, my body is so sore I had to have a look and see what the fall did to my body. Sure enough, I have a fist size bruise on my tush and my back is really sore. I learned a valuable lesson and at least I wasn't more badly hurt. Now, I hope everyone can learn from my blunder or maybe everyone is just a bit smarter that I am, lol.

Diana

Haven't had a crash in over a year, and don't intend to. Socks are killers, I never wear just them around, wear my leather slippers or my sneakers. Your experience should be a lesson to us all, be carefull !

gramma, ouch. so sorry to hear about your fall. i too always wear slippers or my tennis shoes, have to cause of my brace. i bet you are sore, a nice warm bath would do you some good right about now,huh. are you sure your pelvis and hip are ok. i like bonnie had to pick up my throw rugs so i wouldn't trip on them. i hope you heal and feel better soon. try and be more careful from now on.

GRAMMA SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOURSLIP AND FALL

I HAVE NOTHAD A GOOD FALL FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOWMY LAST FALL WHEN I DID FALL I FELL ON MY PRIDE SO ALL THAT WAS HUERWAS MY BACK SIDE RIGH AFTERMY STROKEAND WHEN I DID GET UP AND ABOUT I WORE A HELMET MY KIDS DUBED THE BRAIN BUCKET BUT I HAVE NOT HAD TO USE THAT FOR OVER 5 YRS NOW SO IF YOU TAKE IT EASY ANDLOOK ATWHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO USE GIID JUDGE MENT GOOD LUCK AND BE CARE FUL

BESSY :big_grin:

Because Ray has had a problem with balance since his major strokes in 1999 he has had a lot of falls. Some have been minor and caused bruising etc but two have been major. In 2000 he broke his left hip which he had to have a plate and pins put in and earlier this year he fractured his pelvis and cracked his left hip socket. His right shoulder was also damaged by a fall where he actually rolled off the bed so I don't know whether that can be attributed to balance issues or bad luck!

He has had periods of Physiotherapy over the eight years from the strokes in 1999. Some of the therapy has been aimed at maintaining his balance and regularising his gait to improve his walking. He has also changed recently from a cane to a quad stick. He still does a series of exercises at least three times a week for 30 minutes at a time. the exercises are to improve and maintain his balance.

You don't say in your posts whether you have done physio for balance problems and if you have an ongoing exercise program. If you don't it would certainly be worth investigating if this would improve your balance.

Sue.

I have mentioned my balance concerns to my new physical therapist so I'm sure we will be working on that. I do have some exercises that my therapist has me do in between sessions so I'm sure in time that will help as well.

• 1 month later...

Falls, wipe-outs - I've had several. Having a balance disorder as one result of the stroke has been interesting to say the least!! Being motion sick most of the time, and off balance make everyday a new challenge!! I also have lost pain sensation on my left side, and seem to have compromised circulation. (Everything takes forever to heal properly, [i am not diabetic.] and doesn't ever really fully go away.)

I still do a lot of wall-walking and counter holding. My latest war wound is a nasty burn from our woodstove which I didn't feel right away. I've broken bones too.

I've been walking without the use of a cane for years, but grocery and other shopping ventures require me to use a shopping cart for balance. For some reason I have a terrible time in unfamiliar places. (It's so much worse when I'm tired, I don't use the steps at all.)

Take care,

Susan :cold:

gramma,

good grief! be careful. socks are the worst. :nuhuh: i hope you are wearing shoes or slipper socks now. i still can take a tumble now and then but usually when i am overtired and my balance goes haywire. please be careful! :hug: kathy

Another one who has had her share of falls, The other night I shut the light off and put the dog on the bed but when I sat down, I missed the bed. Then I couldn't see anything (need a new bulb in my night light) and had to feel my way to the computer after I was able to crawl to where I would have more room to get into position to stand. Not hurt but scary when I got confused on location in room.

I go bare-footed a lot. I get a good grip that way, especially when doing the stairs. My shoes seem so heavy and I fear them getting in my way. Slow and think what you are doing as like Donna said. No time to be multi-tasking when on stairs.

You must be on blood thinners to get such a bruise.

Hope this soreness leaves soon.

Phyllis

• 1 month later...

i spoke too soon :( had a fall about 3 weeks ago, nothing broken thank goodness but only now can sit without easing gently down, i shook myself up pretty good. i have very good bone density which probably saved me. you can never get too complacent and think you are past the falling stage, i did not trip or get weak etc, i guess i was distracted for a sec and suddenly i was heading towards the floor.

take care all

Jade

• 2 months later...

please be careful and being distracted is the worst. i took a terrible tumble in Nordstrom's a few weeks ago. I was talking and not paying attention to where i was going, and the change of flooring from tile to carpet sent me flying. I had some scrapes and bruises but the worst was to my ego. now i get a laugh out of it as do my friends. they grab my arm and giggle when shopping. we have to find the humor in things but need to be careful too.

Hi Gramma.....

Hope the aches are easing.......

One fall here in 5 months....Entering the porch on a windy day, and dang if the wind didn't hit the door and sweep me in before I cleared the last step....Twisted in midfall so's not to land on weak side.....

And yeah.....Slippery things, socks.....:)

Like some of the other folks, have the multi-tasking issue, too......I keep forgetting that I have to pay attention to something I did automatically before....And then, trip on the drop foot....

I do pretty good barefoot when I have middle of the night potty run.......Use the cane......

Except the night I planted the cane on the little toe of my left foot......that was the multitasking thing, cause getting to the potty was what I was thinking earnestly about at the time :lol:

Little toe turned grape purple, and for a while had a double limp....

*SIGH*

Archived