headaches

Ok, I get these really bad headaches because I have what is called vasculitis. I was diagnosed with it when I had my stroke earlier this year. My mom got this stuff called 'tiger balm' from her boss and it works really well on the really bad headaches that I always get. It can be bought at Sams, not sure how much it costs since my mom buys it and sends it to me. Just thought I'd share this with everyone. If anyone is like me, on what seems like a hundred different meds already, a non med for headaches is great. Now on my really bad headaches I still have to take my vicodin, but on my milder ones I prefer to rub on the tiger balm and wait for the pain to go away. It's a bit on the stinky side, but worth it.

Thanks for the tip. I've also seen advertised Activ-on for Headaches which is applied to the forehead. I haven't tried it though. For me, since stroke I hardly get headaches - which is good thing - tylenol takes care of it if I do.

I wish tylenol worked for my vasculitis headaches. These headaches are worse than the migraines I used to get and I thought those were bad!! I am going to look for the Active on the next time I'm at the store, who knows, maybe it will work better or faster than the tiger balm or at least smell a bit better, lol. Thanks for the tip!

I have seen the ads on Tv also. Avon has some in their booklet, actually 2.. on is for night time. on is Headache Relief and the other HeadOn PM

I ordered it.. I think it comes in Monday.. so I haven't tried it yet.

I don't get as many migraines or not as bad as they used to be. I still get quite a few headaches. I am on generic Fioricet which is Bultabitol/Acetamoniphen & Caffeine. I have taken this since my early 20's for migraines. If I catch it early enough one tablet works. If I wait until it is fullblown then 2 a dark room and an ice pack.... and I fall asleep for a few hrs.

RACHEL ALSO GETS VERY BAD HEADACHES SINCE HER STROKE. SHE ALMOST ALWAYS HAS TO LAY DOWN. I THINK I WILL TRY THE RUB ON MED. IT CAN'T HURT. SHE USUALLY TAKES ULTRAM FOR PAIN. I'VE READ THOUGH THAT A LOT OF THE HEADACHE MEDS CAN CAUSE HEADACHES!!!!!!! :BashHead:

I got the " Head On" and "Head ON PM" i tried it, I was just starting to get a headache, so i decided to try it, it is kind of a gel in stick, I didn't really think alot about it, but my headache was gone. A couple days later I had a headache in the eveving so I used the PM one. It is weird, I haven't had a headache since.. I'm sure this won't last lol.. but I am glad to not have a headache.

My daughter gets a lot of headaches, I am going to order some more and give her one of each and see if they work for her.

Your forhead feels a little sticky, then kind of a "cool" type feeling, the Pm even had a little .."sting" for a short while. I don't think I noticed that it made me really sleepy or anything.

The strange pain/tingling/crwley feeling went away from the right side of my head where i had the clot.

I can't say 100% that this was what worked.. but .. I will definately try it again, when I get another headache.

I bought these from Avon, but they do say "Head On" and the other "Head On PM" they were 6.00 each..

How interesting about Tiger Balm. Never thought of it as healing headaches. Growing up we used it a lot in fact many Asians and Island people do and use to only be found in Oriental stores. I always thought of it as the oriental version of Ben Gay. I remember if a muscle or joint was sore, Tiger Balm would be applied and then you wrap up the sore area with cloth bands....Ahhhhh! Such Relief and it didn't smell like Ben Gay..LOL! Many people in Martial Arts use Tiger Balm for sores and aches. Ahhhh! Those Ancient Chinese Secrets...LoL!

My Mom's boss is Oriental and she got the first batch of tiger balm from her boss. The rest she has gotten from Sams Club. I swear by the stuff. Just wish it worked on my really bad vasculitis headaches so I wouldn't have to take these blasted pain meds. I'm already on so many meds as it is I hate having to take anything else. Oh well, whatever brings relief. I picked up some of the Head On last night and it works pretty well for mild headaches, again, anything to keep me from having to pop another pill works for me, yay!!

are you talking about the same product on those annoying tv commercials? if so its good to know it actually works. the ads alone can give you a headache,lol seriously though, i'm happy you have found something to give you some relief instead of the pain meds. i used to get bad headaches once in awhile prior to my stroke due to stress i think. not so much anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • Founder and Owner

I am just wondering about the type of headache if balm makes it feel better. They sound like muscular so do you think that getting a massage every now and then might break up the cause for them?

tiger balm is very good. another product worth trying is white flower oil which can be found in asian stores. it is an ointment made of wintergreen and peppermint oil and is sold in asian stores. if you want more info about the product, you can google it by doing a search for white flower oil. just be careful not to get it in your eyes, so wash your hands very well after each use.

massage would also probably help some of the headaches, and I know they are doing more with aroma therapy for relaxing also.

Sometimes, it is hard to tell ... if it is going to be a "headache" or go into a full blown migraine. Some of the migraines I had would come on with an

"aura" sparling lights , some vision loss for a few moments.. etc.

I also have a "shiatsu" neck massager. and we got one of the chair pad massagers for a gift. it has several levels of vibration as well as heat.

The shiatsu" has two balls.. that rotate .. you can set the speed, and direction of rotation. that seems to help when the muscles in my neck are tight and tense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder and Owner

Bonnie, I read that headache with aura lights, in women, is the warning sign for a stroke! If you aren't on blood thinner you should talk to your doctor about this, immediately! :yikes:

Archived