handwriting

Mine has been awful since I had my stroke. My mom wishes I would write her more, but my handwriting is so bad I would rather email her. I had my strokes less than a year ago. My mom got me some handwriting books while she was visiting from out of state, maybe I should be practicing in them more, but I think I would just get frustrated. :ranting:

For me, fortunately, my dominant side was not affected. The only problem I experience is that paper tends to get away from me since I can't hold it down with the other hand. I've tried using my affected hand has a paperweight; however, all I manage to do is pull the paper off the desk as my arm flops back down. I've found using my coffee mug works well to weigh the paper down. If it is your dominant side affected, it will take practice to be able to learn to write with the other hand. I wouldn't overly stress about it but allocate some time daily to practice. You can master it with practice. Good luck! Please keep us posted on your progress.

I just asked my son and he told me that my stroke was on my left side or however that would be worded, but my handwriting is still bad;I am right handed. My left hand stiffens up really bad and because of my vasculitis, the drs say I will have bad reumatoid arthritis, esp in that hand. I have a lot to look forward to! :(

Guest lwisman

My handwriting has improved over time, but sometimes I cannot read it myself. I use the computer. You could type letters to your Mother on the computer and then print them out on paper. I don't write much of anything by hand since my stroke. Sometimes I type up a note and then paste it into a card. Sometimes I write a letter and then insert a photo in it. My great Aunt who is 88 really thinks that is great.

Typing and then mailing a letter to her would probably seem more personal that email. You could sign your name by pen. If you have a digital camera, snap a new photo to send her.

Oh I remember when I first stroked in March it affected my right side. I am right handed. I could not write my name. I just made little circles. It was frustrating as heck! But after time went by (a few months) I could write so it was legible. I was NOT happy about it at all! But after even more time, I can write better and am satisfied with it - it still isn't as good as I would like it to be, but it is better than nothing! haha

Try typing a letter and printing it then ya just have to sign it :)

Or.. take the option of working on your writing and getting better! (I would do both LOL)

Hang in there!

*hugs*

Billie Jo

I've been writing a little bit more, and I find if I take a little more time and concentrate a bit more I do a bit better. Everything takes a bit more time these days, I just have to learn to be more patient with myself. ^_^

i totally agree with that statement donna. patience is so hard after a stroke. gramma it will get better with time and practice. keep working at it and do the best you can.

hi - i so agree that patience is important - also be especially gentle with yourself when you are tired. keep up the good work! kathy

i totally agree with that statement donna. patience is so hard after a stroke. gramma it will get better with time and practice. keep working at it and do the best you can.

Me too.. when i have that pesky stroke, i cannot even sign my name, i have to relearn what i've learned before. Practice makes perfect. Until now, m writing have improved quite a bit, readable, but its like it used too..

erwin

After my stroke (which affected my right/dominate side), I was sent home from the hospital right before Christmas (December 2006). While I wasn't able to wrap any gifts, I did manage to sign a couple of gift tags using my left hand.

On Christmas morning, my 5 year old nephew managed to put it all in perspective when he said, "Gee Uncle Art, you write just like me!"

Now almost a year later, I consider myself to be amidexterous - I write equally poorly with both hands!

Life is good,

Art

• 1 month later...

My handwriting got worse too; and it's still dependent upon how tired I am. I still have trouble with making an "S" or completing an "O"; email works for me much better also. I remember when I came home from rehab I would practice writing the alphabet as if I were just learning again! It's still not like before, but it's good enough to write checks for bills, etc.

Take care,

Susan :cold:

After my first stroke 15 years ago, my writing came back (left side stroke - right side affected - right side dominant. My handwriting this time 4 years ago did not come back as it did the first time. It has improved and like yourself if I take a long time, it is quite good BUT my checks are excepted and my signature on credit cards.

I have tried to teach myself to at least print with my left hand since ,y brain has been having me become more ambidexterous. As suggested, type out letters to your MOM and sign them or add a picture (Lin's suggestions were particularly good) The book your mother is really not needed, You know how to write; you just need to practice.

Phyllis

stroke affected my dominant hand so it's more convenient for me to use email or compose my documents on my laptop. i also print my mailing labels and greeting cards. because of stroke, i've learned that i needed to simplify my life rather than get frustrated. i also learned that patience and perseverance go hand in hand. part of being a survivor also includes being a fighter. :wink:

My dominant hand is unaffected I hate mt writing & can end up in tears over a grocery list typing is very slow but at least it is legible

Mt problem is spatial neglect I cannot tell how big my letters shouls be in relation to thee others I print alot & have to totally concentrate it is painful

My mind knows what to do it is like there is a bridge out when the signal goes to my hand

You are not alone. Tey another cruel stroke joke

Susan

not long after i moved down with my daughter, she commented she missed my writing, b4 stroke i did calligraphy and wrote very pretty, now I am all over the place, and forget what letter comes next so make many mistakes, had to rest several times while writing Christmas cards, even had trouble with my own name when got tired, no one complained so all was well. i was feeling poorly so may have been part of the problem, maybe i will print stickers with my name on it and add a letter printed out next year. maybe even do everyones name on computer also, oh well have a year to do or decide if i don't forget, hang in there gramma, just keep on working at it and do things in small doses.

If you guys are attempting to write with your unaffected hand which was not your dominant hand, keep in mind even though you may have used that hand for some gross motor tasks that is very different from fine motor.

If you think simply knowing how to form letters and how to write should be enough to enable your other hand to do it, it isn't. Unless you wrote with it before, your unaffected hand won't have the familiarity with or muscle control to handle a writing implement.

This is why we give children coloring books and crayons, and sorry guys but that's where you'll need to start. Remember same rules apply stay in the lines, don't press too hard, prized artwork goes on the fridge.

When you become proficient with a crayon, you may advance to pencil absolutely no pen!!! You'll never train that hand to do anything with a pen. With your PENCIL and lined paper (the large green elementary school kind is best ~ Hammond's) practice printing upper case letters. Upper case is made up of mostly straight lines and angles with minimal curves. At least one full page of each letter No cursive. You'll have to make a fair assessment of whether or not you're ready to try curves still pencil no cursive. If you think you are ready, try practicing the lower case alphabet as you did with the capital letters.

Good luck guys. It's really not that bad, all you're really doing is teaching your hand how to maneuver and be in control of a writing implement.

You're actually way ahead of the game because your brain already knows how to form the letters now all you really need to do is give your hand the fine motor skills it needs to carry out the function. No coloring on the walls

It's true with practice you do get better. If I concentrate my signiture now looks almst identical to my pre stroke, although it takes alot of patience to get it just to look like anything legible at first.

Now I just need to replace this keyboard with a tactical one as since my stroke I've found that I hit the keys too soft sometimes and the tactical should correct that.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't give up! I couldn't write all. My dominant hand was affected with my stroke. I think I ate 4 thank you letters I wrote out of frustration. It all eventually came back, not as neat as before, but decent enough to read. It's all I could ask for!

Glad you started this thread! Interesting to see the different ways in which our common malady has affected us! Mine was a bleeder on the right side, so my paresis s on the left, my non-dominant side. However, my writing (which was never pretty) is now really bad. Not only in appearance, but I seem to have some level of attention to detail deficit as well. I have recently moved from business development to engineering in my company, with an attendant move from Joisey to Denver (where I had my crainiotomty, and did my initial post stroke rehab.) I'd been worried about the writing affect, but it would appear it is not really affecting my employabilty as of yet!

Interesting thread you've got going here!

axel

Archived