Neuroaid

Has anyone taken neuroaid? Here's the link:

http://www.neuroaid.com/

I tried searching on the strokenet board but nothing came up. I faxed the info to my doctor to see what he thinks. It's pricey but I'm willing to put it on my credit card if there really is a chance that it would help. My stroke was 8 mos. ago, so it's more than the time frame that they recommend using neuroaid. But I emailed them and they recommended trying it because my stroke was within a year.

I tried acupuncture, and it didn't work. I use e-stim and saebo. I'm getting all three therapies at the present time (pt, ot and speech). But I'm pretty much at the point where I've plateued and my therapists are discouraged and want to discharge me. My ot said theres nothing else she can do for me if I don't get botox, which I don't want. At this point, I'm willing to give this drug a try as long as it's safe, (it's herbal and I faxed the ingredients to my doctor), even if it is experimental at this point and insurance won't pay. Does anyone have any experience with it

Thanks,

Diane

hi diane,

i have not tried the neuroaid but i have used botox over the past two years with fantastic results for my arm,shoulder and hand spasticity . i know it does not work for everyone but i would be glad to answer any questions if you want to pm me. take care . kathy

diane, i have not tried it either but its a good thing you sent the info to your doctor and i would let them advise you on the drug. since its a herbal, that doesn't make it safe. talk to your doctor about botox too, to help ease the tone and spasms. i wish you good luck in whatever you decide, just be safe and keep us posted. as lin said please read steve's remarks un the newsletter this month.

Diane,

Have not tried or heard of it before now but my thoughts are if you meet the guidelines (time frame) then give it a try. You seem to be doing the right things in letting your doctor know and checking everything out up front. It may be a blessing for you and the opposite for another person.

I, for one, would love to know if it helped you in any way and it could help others with about the same stroke as yours. Let us know!

hi diane:

I have tried it, had a stroke in nov 2006, which left me without use of my right side, used three treatments which help with use of my right arm and improved my speach, I can now raise my right are above my head, which I could not do before,it has also helped with my overall mobiloity, if you can afford it there is nothing to lose. I started about two months after my stroke, keep up with theropy

Robert

Hi everyone,

Well I ordered it. My neuro said it was safe to try so I put it on my credit card. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep everyone updated.

Robert,

I'm glad to hear that it helped you. My stroke affected my right side too and my speech. I couldn't speak for almost a month. Is there anything that you did while taking neuroaid to enhance its affects, other than therapy? Acupuncture didn't really work for me (and it was very painful), but I'm willing to try it again if it might work with the neuroaid.

take care,

Diane

• 1 month later...

I am interested in NeuroAid for my father, who had a stroke 27 days ago and is still in ICU. I gave a copy of the NeuroAid info to my father's Neurologist. I also wrote the company to ask the following:

Is it safe to use with a feeding tube?

Can I start it right away or should I wait for him to be out of ICU and in rehab?

Do they have the names of any doctors in my area (Rochester NY) that have experienced with it?

I will post any responses I get from the Neurologist or company.

Anybody else have any experience with NeuroAid.

thanks for your input

Greg

I've been on neuroaid for 2 months. My insurance cut me off from therapy about a week after I started Neuroaid. I've been doing all the exercises I can do myself at home, so it's no big deal that I don't have therapy anymore (but, I do miss having my speech therapy, though). My church organized some volunteers to help me a couple of hours a day and they watch my kids for me while I exercise. My church and the volunteers have truly been a godsend (no pun intended).

Anyway, I hadn't, at first, seen all that much improvement during these past 2 months, and I was a little disapointed. But I have been improving, and this week I really noticed that I can (with struggle) lift and straighten my arm much better than I ever used to. And my walking is a lot better, too (sometimes). My improvement has been very slow and sporadic for months, and it has been that way since about 4 mos. after my stroke. But, bottom line is I am definately improving. Neuroaid is definately not a miracle cure (but they never advertised it as such) and I can never be sure that I wasn't going to improve on my own without the help of neuroaid. But so far, as long as I'm improving, I'm going to keep using it (at least while I can afford it, LOL).

I hope this helps anyone who is interested.

Diane

Diane,

Thanks for the reply - that was helpful. Hang in there and best of luck.

My father's health is finally stabilized after 40 days in ICU and he should be moving out to be evaluated for rehab soon. I sent an email to NeuroAid to ask if it was ok to give to someone with a feeding tube and if there were any Doctors/Therapist in Rochester NY with any experience with it. I'll post additional information when they respond. We are also looking into acupuncture.

thanks,

Greg

Hi,

My mom is 76 years old and had a massive stroke on 12/17/2007 that left her paralyzed on her left side. She is in the hospital acute rehab now, but they are going to discharge her tomorrow and we are transferring her to the SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility) to continue the rehab for another several months.

Searching the WEB for any useful information, I found a lot of references about NeuroAid and ordered it for mom.

We are finishing up the 1st month of the NeuroAid treatment now and today I ordered it for the 2nd month, but I have some concerns.

We have noticed that she is getting very weak and sleepy. This is getting so bad that this week she has not been able to go through her PT and OT sessions without falling a sleep between exercises. She is getting lost all the time and sometimes thinks or sees things that are not there or have never happened.

I am wondering if NeuroAid could cause any of such effects.

Has any of you who is using NeuroAid experienced something like this? I mean getting worse before getting better?

Thank you, Tanya.

Tanya,

Sorry about your mother's stroke. I am a survivor of a massive bleed on the right side of my brain which left me with left side paralysis. It has only been 5 weeks since your mother's stroke so it is understandable that she would want to sleep a lot. It takes several months for the brain to heal.

Does the doctor know about the Neuroaid? If she is on other medication, which I suspect she is, there could be an interaction with her meds. I would definitely confer with the doctor.

I am sorry to say there are no miracle cures to stroke. Mostly, our recovery comes from hard work. Some of us recover more function than others. There is a letter under Classic Postings called "A Letter from your Brain" that you might want to read.

I wish you and your mother the best.

Archived