Coming Home

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to All of You!

I've been SO busy and I think I'm about to get even busier because JOEY IS COMING HOME TODAY!!! It's been a long two months since his accident on September 23.

He's made huge progress. He had a swallow test yesterday and actually got some fluid from his mouth to his stomach. He has a long way to go on swallowing but his speech therapist and I started crying because based on the results of his last test she didn't see any reason to believe he could get any kind of swallow back.

He still has huge vision problems but he went to see a movie with his girlfriend and could actually see the screen. They were so happy they called me as excited as if they'd won the lottery.

His biggest issue is depression. And my biggest challenge is not letting his depression become mine. I've noticed that when he's having a good day so am I and when he's not I'm trying to fix him and me both. How have you all handled this if it's been a problem for you?

Also, he's coming home with a feeding tube and we're trying to get weight back on him. We'll be using a formula. We've already started supplementing him with "Muscle Milk" which is a body-building formula he drank before his accident. Do any of you have suggestions for getting maximum nutrtion and calories for the volume of food he can tolerate?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thx again for being here. You are my heroes...

Lorri

Lorri,

I'm happy to hear Joey is coming home something truly to be thankful for with perfect timing!

Being home especially now with the holidays hopefully should raise both your spirits. I know when came home from rehab I had a feeling of things moving forward a bit more, I was home and no longer in a clinical atmosphere. I no longer had to wait for visitors, people I loved were around all the time. It meant I was well enough to no longer be under a microscope, and it was anticipated that I was now on a progressive path.

Sorry I have no suggestions for the weight gain thing. I'm sure many others will.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy and savor every moment of having your baby home!!

Maria :friends:

Lorri,

As IO did not have swallowing issues, I have no immediate suggestions....I'll leave that to those who do have experience.

That is FANTASTIC news that Joey is coming home today. Yours will truly be a Thanksgiving to celebrate.

Be sure though, as busy as you will be, to take time for yourself to prevent burnout. I hope Joey's girlfriend and others will be there to assist you.

The depression, as I'm sure you have read here, is quite commonplace post stroke. Speak to his doctor about medication that could be helpful to him.

(((HUGS)))

Lorri:

It will be such a wonderful thanksgiving this year whole family together. depression is quite common after stroke, just after TBI you are in your worst phase of selfcenteredness, whyme and all those questions are quite normal. Encorage Joey to write gratitude journal daily, just tell him to put 5 things he is gratefyk about it. For me counting my blessings and writing online journal(blogging) has played big factor in bouncing back in my life game. I did not have swalloin problems, so hopefully others will come and give insight on that, but I had paralysis and my list of whyme was long. I sromgly feel counting your blessings is good way to ward off depression, and finding there are lot far worse off than you also makes you appreciate your pluses.

Joey can start blogging write on this site.

Asha

Congtars to your family.. Just in time for Thanksgiving :)

I did not have swalloing issues, but I am sure you will receive answers from others who did.

I know "thick it" is used, puddings, applesauce. Maybe some pureed food, or baby food. Ensure has some puddings now also.

My grandson who is 14 uses muscle milk, and some other powders that were advised from his foot ball coaches. He is 14 and in football.

You may want to check some of the vitamins on things so he doesn't get too much, some vitamins in large doses can be harmful

Like anything with stroke.. practice and time is the key to re-learning.

Remember to let other people help you. Take breaks and time for yourself. As caregiver's we think we can "do it best" but caregiver burn out is a real issue.. so take the offers for help.

You may want to call or set up an appointment with the nutrionist also.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

lorri. what great news that joey is coming home, you both have worked hard to get to this point. how excited you must be. i did have some swallowing issues at first after my stroke but they resolved fairly quickly. using straws helped me to trigger the swallowing reflex. like bonnie said the thickit works well too. i also had to take small bites and not let the food pool on my affected side of my mouth. it all kinda fell into place for me. i'm sure speech therapy will continue to work with joey so he can get rid of the feeding tube. take care of yourself as well, caregiving is not an easy job, you are an angel now for joey. i wish you and your family a wonderful thanksgiving, with many things to be thankful for. use your resources for help as much as you need to. good luck to you both.

Thx so much for all the support and suggestions and I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

We made it through the transition from inpatient to outpatient and my living room looks like a hospital room but still feels like home. Joey loves being here and I love seeing the smiles on his face that were absent for so long.

More good news. Joey's speech therapist, Rachel, said Joey could practice swallowing soft foods because he'd shown so much improvement on his last swallow test. So yesterday he was able to get down some "Muscle Milk" and then had good results with pudding and applesauce. This morning I made mashed potatoes. She said he could eat the filling from the pumpkin pie and he did. Then he was able to manage the crust if he chewed really well. So he asked for stuffing, then sweet potatoes and then turkey...and ate it all. No choking, coughing...just took time. He has trouble with water and other fluids but he seems to be able to manage food. He was so happy. I was nervous but I just made sure the suction was available and then sat back and enjoyed the show.

Amazing stuff. I'm not happy he had the accident but I've never enjoyed anything so much as being able to see him recover.

Now get out there tomorrow an SHOP TIL YOU DROP!

Lorri

Lorri,

I had a huge :party: on my face as I read your post. So glad to hear things are going well right now for all. I bet Joey's progress will continue to move right along now that he's home. The brain is miraculous in what it can accomplish. Look forward to actually getting to meet Joey....when he's up to it, he can register himself as a member.

(((hugs)))

Lorri,

So nice to hear you guys had such a great day. It's wonderful that Joey got to enjoy some of the Thanksgiving feast rather than just be tortured by the smells. I'm sure he's looking forward to the leftovers as well.

Keep us posted on his accomplishments, we are very excited for him and love to hear them!

Maria :friends:

WOW THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING. I have a HUGE smile on my face as I read your post.

I think some of the members with swallowing issues, used straws for liquids. Thickit would be ok in juice and flavored liquids.. koolaid or something. I have never used it. maybe some eggnog because it is thicker than milk. or milkshakes, smoothies that kind of thing.

I understand you would like to re-wind.. to before the accident, but all types of changes come in to our lives.. sounds like you are handling this and am glad you find the happiness in Joey's miles and recoveries.

We don't get to choose many things that happen in our lives.. but how we deal with the "stuff" makes us stonger.. and able to enjoy the little things in life.

SOOO HAPPY to hear the good news.

Lorri,

I'm so happy for you and Joey. :D Rachel too was in rehab hospital for 2 months. I remember how good it felt to be home. Rachel also had swallowing problems in the beginning. No feeding tube but came close. We started her on ice chips and advanced to pudding, applesauce, then o unto anything we could mash and so on. Now she eats anything she wants. :happydance:

I know it takes time for each new advancement. Just be patient. I'm sure you will see cnages begin to happen as we did after being home. To even attempt turkey is a major accomplishment!!! :hahaha:

Make sure and take care of yourself. Get plenty of rest. I know this seems hard at first, but it will come. I too kept a journal with doctors names, phone numbers, therapists, etc...

I also got a weekly pill box. Made my life easier. Good luck to you and God Bless. What a wonderful Thanksgiving for all of you. :hug:

hey Lorri:

first of all congratulations on joey's swalloing achievements, and secondly with your attitude of looking at the positives in every thing you all will do great in wonderland of acceptance journey. I know it's sad that bad thing has to happen, but now that it happened looking at the positives which comes out of it makes it all worhwhile. I know my stroke made my marriage rock solid and made me better mom. I truly thank my stroke, it made me wise and mature to be able to see what is important in life. changed my filters on my eye glasses to see life differently. & life is wonderful one more time.

Asha

Archived