cold weather

Lately the temperature has been dropping at night so I have been experiencing severe headaches but I was wondering if anyone else experiences pain on their paralyzed side when it is cold? The other night I couldnt even sleep on my affected side because it was so sore and a lot of times when I am walking in the cold, my arm locks up in the bent position and it hurts. Does anyone else experience this?

believe it or not, hawaii tends to get chilly and i've found that my arm locks at the elbow. there is some discomfort in the arm joint so i apply some deep heating ointment at the joint and put on a sweat jacket and it helps with the stiffness.

I have trouble with pain in my brain incision area at night when the temperature is cold or the air is damp. It even hurts to put my head on the pillow! I go to sleep frequently at night with an ice pack between my head and the pillow. Talk about cold bed!

Hope you can get some relief! Beth

Hi Cagedbird,

Yes my weak side does feel the cold. It does get better with time. I am 3 years post stroke and the cold still affects my left side although not as bad as it did in the beginning. Hang in there it does get better.

Hank

Hi Katrina,

The discomfort on my affected side is definitely more pronounced when it is cold and/or damp outside. For me, time has not made the pain less - I think I've just become more tolerant of it and take extra-strength tylenol and utilize my body massage pad.

Katrina,

Duh! It actually took me a few days for me to get it. I looked up when my last botox was to see why it was wearing off so quickly, thunk and thunk, and bing hmmm. Let's see it's 14 degrees out! I might hope after a couple of years I'd get it. Sometimes I'm sure I've turned into an Etch-A-Sketch a few swift turns right and left and it's all gone.

Definetly cold increases pain for me.

I've noticed though that when I go outside in the cold cold air, that when I breath it in now since I've had the stroke I get an instant headache. I have no clue why. I've never had this happen to me before.

Just something new.

Lisa

Yes my left side definately gets colder. especially my left foot. I have put a heating pad on low to get it to warm back up, and it does hurt.

I prefer the cold weather to HOT weather.. Stroke took part of my temperature control.. and when it's cooler, I can put on more clothes or blankets. When it starts hitting 80 and above.. I just don't do well.

When I go out in the winter, my affected leg seizes right up, being on thinners puts me at a disadvantage at -25.

:yukyukyuk: :wink:

believe it or not, hawaii tends to get chilly and i've found that my arm locks at the elbow. there is some discomfort in the arm joint so i apply some deep heating ointment at the joint and put on a sweat jacket and it helps with the stiffness.

Hawaii gets chilly?? :wink:

I think all paralyzed people turn to concrete in the cold. I use an electric blanket in the winter here in Arizona (where it gets about as cold as Hawaii), and I no longer have problems on awakening.

I think it is agreed that weather (with me it's cold too) affects us stroke survivors.

When outside I just bundle up. My husband and I have a heated mattress pad with dual controls so that each side can be either on or off and at the temp each of us want. I am the one who really uses it when the temps are cold at night (yes, Arizona gets cold too in the winter, in fact we have gotten below freezing several times this winter already but not -25!) ). We ordered from the following company who has been in business for 60 years ! http://www.fittedbedwarmers.com/ If this is all I had to contend with it would be nice :big_grin: Leah

i hurt more in cold weather, instead of shivering it seems i get major muscle spasms on affected side, i have harder time doing anything and tire out faster.

Archived