Memory Loss

It is ruining my life! Memory loss. Since my stroke was almost 7 years ago, I don't really know if this has anything to do with it but my theory is something in my brain is started to act up or not work right. I can never remember what I did! I misplace things and can't find them. Sometimes I had to spend more money buying something I misplaced. It's always something. I just noticed this toward the end of last year. Sometimes I have a slight memory of misplacing something after I find it again but most of the time I have no clue how it got there, if I do find it. Does anyone know if this could be a type of brain disorder. I'm only 18 so I don't think its age :(

Hi Caged Bird,

That sounds so frustrating. I have had slight memory loss that results in upsetting my family but I don't know much about what causes it. This is a great place to ask you question though. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum. You may want to try searching memory loss for old threads.

hi katrina, i understand how you are feeling. i too have the memory loss, i feel it is from my stroke 6years ago. i have both short and long term memory loss, mostly short term. it is very frustrating. i can do something one minute and go into another room and forget what i had just done. they say the quickest way to find something you have lost is to buy a new one, and you will find it,lol i would think this is very hard for you since you are a student and with the studying you are doing. all i can suggest is to really try and focus hard on everything you do or start writing things down in a special notebook or something , like where you put things and anything special that you do. i have to write everything down now and keep them in my computer stand so i always know where they are. hang in there, since you are so young hopefully it will get better in time. good luck.

Katrina,

Have you considered dear girl that your memory lapses may be from all that you have on your plate right now with college, homework, etc? Does it seem to be more of short term memory issues? I know for me, my short term memory was zapped in many respects. I especially notice it if I'm attempting to multitask.

Yesterday I was doing some internet things while opening my mail :Readpaper: . I had taken mail and placed it in a easy-access spot in my file cabinet beside my desk as I would need to reference to the data. I discovered I forgot to put one page with the other two and opened the file cabinet and could not remember where I put my papers. For me, I've learned to laugh at the situations rather than stress myself out which usually results in more memory loss as I'm too stressed to think :BashHead: straight

:Good-Post: Dear CagedBird, Thank You for this great post! I well understand and experience significant short-term memory loss and sequencing deficits resulting from a massive hemorrhagic stroke in 2005. I also suffer from vascular dementia as a result of oxygen deprivation to the brain from all the blood and cerebro-spinal fluids that collected inside my skull following the stroke. All of these results (and many others) are not at all uncommon to stroke survivors.

Medications, rehab, and technology help me on a daily basis with the memory stuff:

1. MEDICATIONS: My neuro doctors put me on Aricept, Namenda, TriLeptal, and Cymbalta. You can look all this stuff up on Drugs.com or Medline for descriptions and indications for prescription. Take the information to your doctor(s). I also highly recommend the vitamin / mineral supplement called Folic Acid.
  2. REHAB: You probably ought to go see a neuro-psychologist for a Skills evaluation so you will know where you stand now. They usually follow these up at one year intervals to see if there is improvement or decline.
  3. TECHNOLOGY: My rehab people suggested using a PDA type of device to keep track of appointments, contacts, tasks, notes, etc. This device synchronizes with the calendar and task pads on my main computer, I can take it with me to add information as needed or so that I can have my calendar with me and not "double book" the same time period to two or more events. (This is often a common problem) .. If the PDA won't work for you some people use a series of notebooks and day-planner things; this was not good for me because I would only misplace those items.

I hope some of this is helpful to you. Please note that "No intention, either express or implied, exists to provide medical, psychiatric, or psychological information, diagnoses, prognoses, or medical recommendations; nor do we profess to offer legal advice. Those seeking medical advice and treatment or legal counsel MUST seek the counsel of qualified medical, neuropsychological, psychiatric, or legal professionals."

Good Luck!

It is ruining my life! Memory loss. Since my stroke was almost 7 years ago, I don't really know if this has anything to do with it but my theory is something in my brain is started to act up or not work right. I can never remember what I did! I misplace things and can't find them. Sometimes I had to spend more money buying something I misplaced. It's always something. I just noticed this toward the end of last year. Sometimes I have a slight memory of misplacing something after I find it again but most of the time I have no clue how it got there, if I do find it. Does anyone know if this could be a type of brain disorder. I'm only 18 so I don't think its age :(

Katrina,

Might not be a bad idea to check with the doctor just to be sure, but for the most part this is something most people do even without having stroked. Especially when life gets busier and your preoccupied with other things. Could it be that you're a bit distracted :wub2: or have your head in the clouds a bit lately :cloud9:

You may just be diagnosed with being bitten by the love-bug :D

Maria :hug:

Like others I have the note book but I also have a place for everything. What every I have, has a place... if it's not there I put a note there telling me I need more or it has to be replaced. I don't just put it down... I will stop and put what ever it is in it's place. Slows my life down but my life could be a lot slower!

Good luck I hope you find what you're looking for.

Hey Caged Bird,

I am now 7 years post stroke & think my memory has never returned to what it was. I try to blame things on being a natural blond, but I don't think I can get away with just that.

It's not just the short term memory, I no longer have any sense of direction. I used to be good at working out relations between things & places & making my way around new places but this is no longer so. I get lost if you just spin me around a couple of times. A god-send has been our GPS system in the car. It's a beautiful thing to know I can never get lost as John Cleese will always get me either home or where I am going. Originally we had a normal Tom Tom but as my husband's name is Tom I didn't liek the idea of him telling me where to go, so we managed to change the voice to a British one to whom I WILL listen.

I have tried doing memory games as a means of helping the little grey cells to remain active. I do suduko & crosswords etc & keep trying new things to help - even did amateur dramatics to see if I could remember lines!

I know that things will only get worse as I get older (I had my stroke aged 33) so don't hold up much hope there really. But the thing you need to try to do, is to find ways & techniques to remember things. Putting keys ALWAYS in the same place, using the same numbers for things (not necessarily good for PIN numbers but it's better than forgetting them & as others have said, always writing things down.

Good luck with trying to remember stuff. If you come across any good ways to remember, let me know...

i also have problems and sometimes it seems worse than others, in the last 2 months i've lost my sunday school book, my overcomers book, and any number of things for shorter period, i think when i get tired and don't get things back ro where i always put them is part of the problem, i keep a little clender in my purse and write any apptmnt's there, or an event i want to remember, plus since i have recently forgotten things layely everyone reminds me if something is getting close, you may just have too much on your plate right now, get as much rest as you can and set up designated areas for everything, like always put your keys in that little pocket of your purse or some such, you will probably want to ask neuro next time you see him, your stroke was a bleed during surgwry if i remember correctly so you may not be at as high of risk for another one as a lot of us, but do talk to neuro just in case, will keep you i my prayers. :dribble: :hug:

It is so frustrating!! I have to leave notes for myself all over the place - I even have to use the timer on the stove for some things Whenever there are directions to something, or driving directions, I have to let my husband take over because I don't retain anything.

There's a bunch of information available regarding stroke and memory loss. I just typed that into a search engine like "Google" or "Yahoo." Beyond that.....

If you are concerned that there may be something else going on, then 2ndChance is right on the money - get evaluated by a doctor.

Take care,

Susan :Typing:

Hi Katrina,

You have received lots of good suggestions! There is a good possibility your memory issues are related to your stroke. However, I also think you really need to look at the busy life you lead with school and a new boyfriend! You are such a wise young woman. You take action so well. As you know there are solutions to most challenges you face post stroke. Is your increased memory loss something you have just noticed? Can you put a timeframe around it?

Of course I'd suggest you speak to your OT about it. The therapist may want you to talk with your neurologist to determine if there is some medication that may help. There are some available, but your neurologist will need to decide if they are appropriate for you!

Warmly,

Have you tried a digital voice recorder? They are small and I use one that hangs around my neck. It is great for remembering things. I got one for X-mas in 06 and I have recorded over 1,500 messages so far. I to have short term memory loss and it is a great tool.

hi katrina im 5 yrs from severe brain anneurysn - right side brain damage

i too have lots i=of blank momwnts why i am here what am i doing?

i have developed coping skills for this such as trying to always put thing wher they go

i made a day book a binder with dividers

the 1st pg has today's date on it -- notes o whatshould be done today - tomorrow i use a new page and the next days date - bring forward what i didnt get done phone call- bills = aptsI use a yellow file folder in which to keep bibills to payuse a file box for paid & done busioness stuff very skeleton folders a misc for each letter - when u get lots of the same compsny or type in a misc folder - make its own folder keep an address book up to date

lots of work but less stress

when i am home ttrying to get things done i epeat key words until done eg feed dog start dishwasher = dod, dishwasher phone calls etc

this along with stickey notes has really heloed note i am a compulsive organize freak

i cant stand chaos

Susan

Archived