I have exhausted all PT and do exercise at home. Do any of you exercise at health facilities? How is it working?

Have you benefited from this additional exercise? Do you do water therapy at the health facility? I did water therapy while in PT and enjoyed it. Before I commit to a health club facility, just wanted to get some feedback. It's also a way to increase being out among others. Have you enjoyed the social interaction also? Thank you.

Guest lwisman

Check with your local Y or park district. They often offer classes aimed at those with arthritis. These exercises are excellent for stroke survivors.

Hi Stessie,

I had some water therapy soon after I came home from rehab and loved it. I continued on my own at a local pool; it was actually water aerobics. What was good for me was not only the exercise, and that I could go at my own pace, but also the social aspect of it too. I've since moved and miss it a lot.

Susan :type:

I use the military gym at Ft Hood, they got everything with many machines, pool and a sauna but I haven't been out there lately. Just got out the hospital last night again in two weeks.

Hey Stessie,

yes I exercise at anytime fitness on the average of 3 times per week,the reason I prefer this place is I have my own remote so I can come and go as I please anytime 24 hours per day,also since this is a nationwide chain my remote will let me in any of the facilities, yes I am getting alot of benefits,so far I've lost 20lbs and my leg is getting stronger.

God Bless,

Tom

I work with a trainer twice a week who has a physical therapy background. I also work out on my own for 30 min per day. It is exhausting and being a former marathon runner - not very satisfying but I would be no where close to where I am w/ out it. I go to the YMCA and strangers come up and tell me they are proud of me for tring so hard. Those kind words really keep me going. My husband worries I push too hard but I feel I need to be a part of my recovery. Please don't give up on exercise, I'm almost three years post stroke and doing pretty well except for a useless arm and hand and a pretty bad limp.

stessie,

i go to the local Y. i do the water classes.....i feel safe there and know that if i take a tumble i will only get wet. made some great friendstoo! kathy

I never thought of water exercise and I have a pool!!

With my feelings of vertigo, I was kind of scared I would get confused to what way is up.

Maybe when it gets a bit warmer, I will get in there and start getting in some laps.

I'm not advicating or promoting this piece of exercise equip. this is my opinion only.

I bought a Tony Little Gazzell on the shopping channel for $199 and it's the best thing I've ever bought. It's great because there's no impact like a treadmill on your knees, and you get both an upper and lower body workout... all very low impact. My wife is putting 30 min. a day, and I do 10 min. twice a day.

http://www.tonylittle.com/detail.aspx?ID=146

stessie, you might try checking with your local colleges about classes they might have too. i know here close to where i live there is a community college that has an exercise class that survivors can register for. they have all of the latest equipment to use and safety measures in place for people to feel safe when using their equipment. it wasn't very expensive either. it would be nice for the socialization too. good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Stessie ~ WELCOME, I to am new to this board & it has brought me back to sanity &

having others who know what i'm feeling. I had a bleed(AVM) & stroke on my right side

12/96. in rebab as in-patient they had a pool so they lowerec me into pool on a chair.

i was so afraid. I use to swim laps before. so slowly after clutcvhing thereapists neck i was able to let go & hold onto pool edge. after about 2 years . i was able to retrain the good side of brain to start swimming again. I have foun d water is the BEST therapy. I can now swim laps in small local pool.

my right side is still weak but left side composates for it. my husband bought me a stationarry bike which i have to strap my right foot in as it is still numb . i change into lwer brace out of brace normally wear above my knee. IT WORKS! fEEL SO GOOD AFTER BEING ABLE TO excersie. My husband also

bought a golf cart. but that didn't work as it didn't have 4-wheel drive & we live in the country. but i had freedom to go places i've never seen before. My kids have fun on the Polaris to. I haven't had

confidence to use it yet. I can drive in our small local town w/ left foot gas pedal. to get my confidence up the therapist kept telling & training me i could do it. I take seizure meds. as i started having them after they removed my arteery vein malforamtion that casued the bleed. I get bummed out every once in awhile as i was a very active mother of 4. But GOd knows what He's doing & gives grace for each new day. I want to encourage you & know I know what your going thru. Have a good day & God BLess you. I feel it an honor to meet you over the computer. Take care....nANCY

WE CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST JESUS!

Going to the 'Y' 3-4 times a week is the best thing for my recovery.I use a treadmill at a slow 1 mph to get the leg swing down correctly without hip-hiking. Also the Stairmaster stepmill to practice my stairclimbing. The weight machines I use starting out with both hands at the lightest weight and then go to using only the affected arm. Besides getting my arm to straighten out it helps with my grip on the bars. If you can do it, I would highly recommend it. My therapists have given me pointers on which muscles and machines I shoulfd be working on. Abductors for holding up the body as the good legs swings thru.

Dean

I missed one thing. A BOSU ball is the best thing for getting your balance back. I ended up using it round side down because I was less likely to roll my ankle over. I still have to have a railing nearby to catch myself, but I think this has helped tremendously to strengthen my ankle muscles.

Dean

Archived