Frustrated at the slowness of adaptations to our bungalow

:( As many regulars know I am waiting for the local authority/social services to build a ramp outside our bungalow so Trev can get in & out of his own home. Without this he can't come home. I have been in my new bungalow for 2 mths & we are STILL waiting for permission to get the ramp built. There is access problems which need to be sorted...it all rests on one of my neighbours giving permission to us having temporary access in front of their bungalow so Trev can get from the road to our back door.

Then we'll get a temporary ramp so he can get indoors, until a bigger access project is completed. We are desperate for Trev to come home, it's 8mths since his stroke plus on 6th August it will be our first wedding anniversary...I want him home for that date...the Occupational Therapist has said perhaps he could home for half a day for that special event...lets hope that at least that will happen :( We are really getting fed up of waiting :Tantrum: :Tantrum: feel like having a stamping fit :Tantrum: :Tantrum:

chris xx

Chris, my husband Ray was allowed day leave when he was in rehab to "normalize" his life in preparation for being home. This was from 10am till 3pm I took him out to lunch, to a park, or out in the wheelchair to the local shopping centre or along one of the seaside pathways. We did this two or three times a week for the last four weeks. We also went out for our wedding anniversary which was quite an expedition as it was some distance to meet up with friends.

All of this prepared him for his homecoming and prepared me for what it was like to look after him, do car transfers etc by myself. I think we also built up our confidence in our ability to cope this way.

He has been home seven years now, we have had our difficult moments but most of our life has been worthwhile. Hang in there, progress can be slow sometimes but life will come right side up again.

Sue.

Chris -

This is not acceptable behavior :Tantrum: :Tantrum: -

First, as the law is on your side - I am a JD & know that all entries MUST :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: Have either a ramp or railings - THE ADA has made it a law, so call your town hall, and register this complaint TODAY & don't tell them to get int in on their timeline, give them 2 weeks - Shake them up a bit, using just a little pepper, and lots of sugar -

A good lawyer would love this case, but you can do it yourself by calling the Town Hall

GOOD LUCK

June

Thanks for the advice June, not sure though if the rules are the same here in England, but they are working on the case..it's all officialdom at the moment.

chris xx

Dear Chrisratty,

I'm sorry you're having problems. :friends: The medical equipment stores here in Ill. have temporary ramps that can be borrowed or bought, depending on the situation. You can rent them, or insurance covers some things. Do you have anything like that by you ? Definitely check with city hall-but for something temporary-check with med. equip. or even you local hospital.

The problem isn't the ramp outside our door...that can be completed as soon as they've sorted out an access problem...the bungalow next door & our bungalow has a path running between them, under the bedroom windows, plus there's a ramp down from the road at their end, it should be simple to us this as access from the road to our bungalow, but our neighbours don't want us to do this...the hate anyone evading their privacy & the husband is on nights, they have refused to let us use this path & placed tubs of flowers blocking it. BUT as their bungalow as well as our is council owned, the council are negotiating a tempory right of access for Trev until a permenant ramp is built..incidently on my other neighbours OWN PRIVATE land, they are the opposite, so helpful & kind.

After all he would only bed going past their house twice a day at the very most...hardly a distrubance.

chris xx

Hi Chris,

I misunderstood your predicament earlier. :im stupid: Now that I do, I wish your neighbors would be a little more compassionate. After all, we all know how are lives can change in a heartbeat. If everyone would work together, it would be somewhat simpler. :friends: Hopefully your council will grant you access.

:Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: Good idea...trouble is the tubs are huge ....half barrels(big ones as well!!!!!) :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands:

chris xx

Lets get to the root of the problem, if its your neighbors that are dragging their feet, they need to be contacted ASAP -

They need to be told, they are breaking the law by not allowing a ramp to be built on your bungalow - A firm, but meaning business letter needs to be drafted & sent them return receipt by a lawyer or from you, but from a lawyer will get their attention -

You could even contact the zoning or building code dept. in Town hall for quick and decisive action -

ID MOVE ON THIS FAST

June :cheer:

Chris, be patient if you can. This situation will resolve itself eventually. In the meantime make sure that the inside of your house is ready for him too. We had to move furniture to make clear walkways, have the bathroom and toilet altered by adding grab rails for Ray to hang onto. I eventually changed the position of the bed as Ray hauls himself up and hangs on to the window sill as he moves sideways to the end of the bed.

Ray gets a lot of pleasure from being outside so a comfy chair in a spot where he can see what is going on in the world has been a great feature of his last seven years at home.

When everything is ready the time will be right to start the next phase of your life together.

Sue. :friends:

Thanks for the kind gentle thoughts........yes I've sorted most of the inside of the house & we have a lovely peaceful garden for him to sit in.

chris xx

• 2 weeks later...

:Tantrum: I have just had some bad news :Tantrum: the neighbour we were relying on to give permission for temporay access to our bungalow to allow Trev to come home has refused to allow this....so we are back were we started, we have to wait for the permanant ramp to be built....only I've been told that because of funding levels it isn't possible at the moment, was told rather flippantly "it could be a year" :Tantrum: :Tantrum: :Tantrum: I am/was so angry & have emailed my local MP, will probably get in touch with the local newspaper...ANYTHING to get the ramp to Trev can come home...how on earth can I tell him he won't be coming home for a while...he's so fed up & depressed.

chris xx

This is so stupid for the government to keep a person in a hospital that long waiting for a ramp to be built! It's certainly isn't cost effective.

Here in the states there are private organizations that will put up ramps for people for free. Any chance you have groups like that in England? A newspaper articles sounds like a great thing to line up. Go for it!!!

Jean

There are groups that help, I'm just in the middle of sorting out things like newspaper articles etc.

Thanks for the support.

chris xx

Well some action at last, our local newspaper answered my email & after a quick interview & photo session at our bungalow, they are publishing an article about the way the council are dragging their feet of the ramp business. Iv'e had my photo taken stood where the ramp should be, holding a photo of Trev looking sad. They are playing on the fact it's our 1st wedding anniversary on 6th August & Trev won't be able to come home so we can celebrate together.

Some should happen soon me thinks.......will try & post a link if they publish the article on their web page.

chris xx

• 2 weeks later...

Well today the newspaper printed the article...a very good write up, & the council answered back...a lot of ****useless talk I know, but I think things will get moving soon now.

I'm attaching the article as an attachment if it works.

chris xx

chris xx

Chris, :friends:

Hang in there. I'm also sure things will move quicker with the press involved. people don't want that type of bad publicity. I can't believe your neighbors are acting the way they are. I hope they're never in your shoes, because then they too would understand that we don't ask for these things to happen, they just do!!!

• 3 weeks later...

:Clap-Hands: aa little bit of good news to report, the local stroke co ordinator has been in touch, mainkly just checking on Trev's progress & when I told her about the saga of the ramp.. she was as angry as we are & has pledged to help all she can 7 has already given some suggestions & will contact the council herself regarding my case. :cloud9: just feelsgood to have someone else on my side & also she's coming from a neutral standpoint...she's not employed by Social Services or the Council...she works for the Stroke Association.

So hopeful more progress will be made.

chris xx

What a nightmare!!

I hope that things get sorted out soon.

Keep the local paper involved if nothing else the council will have to act if shown upin too bad a light. Also Keep the Stroke Association involved as they can hopefully shove some fireworks beneath the appropriate bottoms!!

Good luck.

Sarah

Yes I'm pleased to be getting the support of the co ordinator...it's great 'cause they're on our side ......plus the weight of a big organisation is always useful.

chris xx

:Clap-Hands: Chris,

I'm glad to hear someone is there to be an advocate for Trev and yourself. I pray that will help the situation move a little faster. :friends:

Archived