Adaptive Devices and Gadgets

Hi Everyone,

After a stroke, many of people have to learn a new way of doing things because one arm and/or leg doesn't have its full function back yet. Or the survivor has balance problems. There are many adaptive gadgets available in the marketplace....some that work, some that don't. Can we use this posting thread to exchange our knowledge on some of these gadgets and devices? What works for you? What did you try that was a waste of money? Where did you buy the helpful stuff? Are you looking for something you can't find?

For me, as a caregiver, the very best investment we made was a mere $4.95 for two pair of elastic shoelaces from Access with Ease. You only have to tie them once (using a knot) then after that you can put shoes on and off without having to undo the ties each time. This was such a great frustration-saver for me!!!

At the shoe store last week, I came upon another gadget that works well, too. It's a little plastic piece that runners use on their laces. You string both ends of the laces through it---you only need to do this step once---then you press a little button to tighten and loosen the laces, tucking the ends of the laces under the laces down by the toe, when you are wearing the shoes. I bought a set for me and love not having to tie my shoes anymore!!! I'm going back to get more sets for all my shoes. $1.95. Not sure a one-handed person could use these, but caregivers will love them.

Another gadget that also came from Access with Ease is a card holder, for playing cards. Don had tried several styles in a recreational therapy class and they made playing cards so much easier. Access sells four different styles, some as cheap as $4.95 for a set of four. But of course the ones that sell for $7.95 for a set of two works the best.

Access with Ease is in the USA. Their mail order catalogs says they have a clearance store online but I've never been to that site at: www.store.yahoo.com/capability.

Jean :wub:

For clothing:

Sandals with Velcro straps - no socks - good leather sandals with thick stiff soles

Shorts with elastic waist - much easier to put on than pants

Large neck "T" shirts - must be short sleeve

Expansion band on watch

You may need to raise the thermostat a few degrees

Assistive devices:

Grab bar at 45 degree angle in tub/shower

Grab bar horizontal just outside the tub/shower

Convertible hand held-fixed shower head

Firm chairs with high firm arms - not too low to the floor - keep your shoulder from drooping - easy to push up from - once you get you hips below your knees getting up becomes much more difficult

Remote light/fan controls

Use brighter lighting with color corrected lights - light you path

Earl

What my mother would like to find is a bra suitable tp put on with one hand. We tried putting velcro on one bra, but it didn't work. Any suggestions out there?

We only buy shoes with velcro or zippers or even buckles -- no slip ons or laces.

Definately elastic waist pants and skirts. Button jackets are also the best. Mittens work better than gloves for Mom

Hi Door 60,

I found a bra that works great with one hand -- it's very stretchy and has a front closure that I leave closed. I get them through a mail order place. If you want to send your mailing address to my email address(bread2@mts.net), I will send you the information. I'm in Canada, as is the mail order company. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

Take Care

Bev, aka Mona Lisa

I, TOO BECAME A FAN OF STRETCH PANTS AND ELASTIC SHOELACES, OS SHOES WITH VELCRO TIGHTENERS.

MY OT SUGGESTED I PURCHASE A PULLY BOTH SIDES GET A PULLYTHAT FITS OVER A DOOR. IT STRETCHES THE ARM, ELBOW, AND KEEPS THE SHOULDER MOVING. BOTH SIDES GET AN EQUAL WORKOUT. UNFORTUNATELY, I CAN'T FIND MY INFORMATION SHEET, BUT ANY OT OR SPORTING GOODS STORE SHOULD HAVE INFO. THE COST WAS $22.00. PLAY-DOUGH IS GOOD FOR MOVING THE HAND AND FINGERS, AND YOU CAN PLAY WITH THE KIDS OR GRANDKIDS.

MY WIFE PLACES PEANUTS, ALMONDS, ETC ON THE TABLE. IF I PICK THEM UP WITH MY LEFT HAND, AND EAT THEM WITH SAME, I GET REWARDED. I'M TRYING TO CONVINCE HER TO USE PEANUT M&MS

USING ANY HOUSEHOLD ITEM REFRESHES THE BRAIN. I FIND YOU DON'T NEED TO SPEND A LOT ON SELF THERAPY. PLAY BOARD GAMES, LIKE SCRABBLE, USING THE AFFECTED HAND. IF YOU CAN DO SIMPLE HOUSEHOLD CHORES, DO THEM, EVEN IF FROM A WHEELCHAIR. WE NEED TO BUILD STRENGTH AND TRAIN THE BRAIN.

I'M SUCH A FAN OF WATER THERAPY. IN THREE WEEKS, MY PROGRESS IS TERRIFIC. AT HOME, I PUT MT HANDS UNDER WARM WATER, OPEN AND CLOSE THE FIST, AND MOVE MY FINGERS.

USING SOME IMAGINATION IS FUN AND FULFILLING. CONTINUED GOOD HEALTH TO EVERYONE.

REGARDS,

MARTY

• 2 weeks later...

would like on this shoe tying device.Only have one hand but that has not stopped me so far.Could you put this device on once and loosen an tightenas needed?

isokrzy

Hi isokrzy,

If you are asking about the elastic shoe strings, yes, you only put the elastic laces in the shoes one time. Then you tie a knot in them and they stretch and give enough to get your shoes on and off without having to untie them ever again. My husband uses them with tenis shoes and we've had the same pair of laces going on four years. He only has the use of one hand and he can put his own shoes on with these laces. It took a bit of practice, but it's very do-able.

Jean,

I actually wanted details to this device posted earlier"At the shoe store last week, I came upon another gauget that works well, too. It's a little plastic piece that runners use on their laces. You string both ends of the laces through it---you only need to do this step once---then you press a little button to tighten and lossen the laces, tucking the ends of the laces under the laces down by the toe, when you are wearing the shoes. I bought a set for me and love not having to tie my shoes anymore!!! I'm going back to get more sets for all my shoes. $1.95. Not sure a one-handed person could use these, but caregivers will love them"

isokrzy

Hi isokrzy,

I checked with the shoe store today and the little gaugets you're asking about is called: Squeezums Lace Locks and they have a website. squeezums.com (I just bought three more pair.)

Jean,

thanks for your follow through, but I don't think the lce lock thing will work one handed although maybe one hand and some teeth. I think for me the elastic lace is best but I keep breaking them if you find anything else in your travels don't keep it a secret

ttfn,

isokrzy

Isokrzy:

I have never broken an elastic shoelace and in fact have moved them to three pairs of shoes. Don't get the corkscrew ones they make for children - too short. Get the 37" ones for adults. I get mine at activeforever.com.

2ndChance

There seems to be much interest in the "magic bra" as 2nd chance so aptly calls it. It is available at clearpointdirect.com. It's the classic comfort bra. It's very comfortable and stretchable enough to put on with one hand, yet still gives support. It takes a fair bit of practise at first, but it is well worth it. Having a caregiver help initially would be ideal.

Bev, aka Mona Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I really appreciate the posts here and I am sure that there are many more to come.

Well I just wanted to add my little bit as I had been looking for something to give my knee and elbow the range of motion that they need in order to train the brain.

A friend recomended this little pedal exerciser available at Sears.

Pedal Exerciser

I ordered it last week and received it in three days (fast).

link to Sears page for the pedal exceriser

It seeems to do just what I was looking for and it is designed for both arm and leg movement. (awsome)

Thanks for sharing,

Big Smiles :D

Gary in Canada eh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just thought of another device that is very helpful for one-handed people to use in the bathroom. It's the dispenser that attaches to the shower wall and it holds shampoo, liquid soap, and whatever else you want to put in it. The pumps to dispense the liquids can easily be operated with one hand and are so much better and cleaner to use than bars or bottles to fumble with. The dispensers are sold in bath departments of major chain stores and they come in many different styles holding anywhere from one liquid to five so if different family members have their own favorites, there is room for all. They go up with two-faced sticky stuff that really holds!! No holes in your shower stall or tools needed to install. My husband also uses a rolling three-drawer plastic unit by Rubbermaid to hold all his after shower needs like deordant, power, underwear, toe nail medication, etc. so he can stay on the shower chair to finish up.

Anyone else have a tip for making life easier for stroke survivors?

One of my favs is a Black & Decker cordless can opener. Because it is cordless you can take it and the unopened can where you want to see the can contents. It can be opened and you do not have to try to carry an open full can anywhere. Although I do not have an affected side, I tried it one handed because a stroke contact asked me to. It worked. Once the opener is attached to the can which I able to do successful with one hand, it works around the can by itself (handless)

:D What a Great topic.

Lots of useful ideas. But, the bra ideas are of no use to me. No cross dressing here.

I do have 5 things I find very useful.

Hi all

Gary here... Thanks for all the great ideas. Good post Dennis that helped a lot I would like to try the clamp idea.

Lin the Black and Decker "Ergo" can opener does work great. I have been using one now for a little over a year. (along with my rocker knife)

I had just looked up a link to the can opener to send to Jackie, so I will try to put the link here.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...779205?v=glance

I have to tell you that I reached a milestone on the weekend when I tied my tie for the first time since the stroke . (the last time was about three hours pre stroke.)

So that must mean that The movement in my hand and arm is still improving. (so the motto of this story is never give up even after they tell you that you may not get any more back).

thanks for sharing

Big smiles :D

your Canadian strokebuddy,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the link. The can opener I have is a couple of years old and does not look at all like the one in the picture. I suppose that means that Black & Decker has upgraded. Maybe the new one is better. You never know!

Hi Lin

I am not sure but I think there is also a model that does not have the handle thingy eh.

B00004SPZS.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

My caregivers tried that one and concluded that they could not use it with two hands, so they would not recomend it for persons with only one.

Then last year a friend of mine found the one in the picture and brought it home for me to try (eureka....it worked like a charm) so I bought it and I have been opening cans with it ever since. ( I love it eh) :wub:

Smiles ;) :P :huh::D (big ones)

Gary

One of my problems was getting in and out of the house with one hand while carrying objects.

To carry odd objects I used a canvas book bag with handles just slipped up to my elbow so I could use the key and door knob.

To take drinks in and out of the house I had a phone table just inside the door and an outside table just outside the door. Sit the drink down - open the door - put it outside - go outside - close the door.

Nothing fancy but it works at home alone especially if you have the self closing type door.

Earl

• 1 month later...

Gary, etal,

An update on can openers. I was intrigued by Gary's description of his Black & Decker cordless can opener, so I decided to order one. It is the Ergo model. Unusual looking, but works extremely well. As soon as you have the opener positioned, it begins to work its way around the can. Also, the section that actually opens the can can be removed and washed -- it's even dishwasher safe.

What I bought several years ago was Black & Decker's HandyOpener. It is also cordless, but not as easy to use.

• 2 months later...

Thank goodness for Black n Decker can openers! beer.gif Without mine I would starve to death.

I also have a cutting board that I can vice grip a jar or tin or cheese grater. there are nails that one can fix an onion on for save cutting/slicing. a bit expensive though ( $100 Cad.) but handy to have on the counter.

• 7 months later...

two useful things i've found :

these long dimmer switch cords for lamps, you plug them into the outlet and the lamp into them, then you've got a long cord with a dimmer switch on the end, with a small red pinpoint light so you can find it in the dark - i've got them on those tall torcheire lamps with the switches up top that you cant reach from a wheelchair, just a slider switch, easy to use one handed - we got them at home depot

a nylon cat or small dog leash... to put on the outside doorknob, so that you can hold the end as you wheel through and actually pull the door shut behind you - invaluable for live alone manual wheelchair users

teal

My husband basically has lost his upper body strength from just sitting in the wheelchair or in bed.

I use a hoyer lift right now to get him in and out of bed. The physical therapist suggested that I take the gait belt and attach it to the arm of the hoyer lift and have my husband practice pulling himself up.

We have been doing this for 1 week at least 2 times a day and I can't believe how much strength he has regained in his good arm and stomach muscles. He can now help to sit himself up - which really helps me to dress him.

Thank God there are more uses for that big horse (hoyer lift). lol_2.gif

Kim smile.gif

Two useful things I have are remote light switches and remote control ceiling fan. We have 2 remote light switches which my husband got at Wal Mart. One end is a transmitter that's wired into the light switch cavity, so someone that knows electrical work is essential. The other end is a switch that looks like a regular light switch, but it's a plastic thingy. I leave it on my computer desk so I can turn off the light when I'm done playing. He also bought me a remote control ceiling fan for the bedroom when ours went out, since I liked the light switch so much. The fan was a little expensive, a Hampton Bay for Home Depot, at $99.00 blush.gif , but I love it! It's so nice to be able to turn off the light without getting up. It was a little more complicated wiring it up than a regular ceiling fan. I do have a touch lamp on my nightstand I can use, but found I use the fan light more!

oldwoman

Archived