Adaptive Devices and Gadgets

Something new my wife and I just got is the pampered chef jar opener, it can be used with one hand or two, to use one handed we mounted it to the bottom of one of our upper cabinets, It is basically a V shape that will grip the lid to any jar, then with your good hand just turn the jar and your lid is off.

God Bless,

Tom

Guest veggie.vampire

Obvious but really useful is my roll of sticky material, like the wonderful sticky mat which holds my plate exactly in place as I eat. Holds things acting as my useless right hand.

Also useful is a threader, to hold a needle.

• 7 months later...

just a hint for you ladies that are sick of the not so fashionable :( elastic waist pants. I was looking for good looking jeans and found what I wanted by getting Gap "maternity pants". get the "no panel" real waist kind in your regular size. just close the zipper and button and pull them on. they have elastic in the back that's adjustable and they look so "normal" no one will ever know. I even get compliments on my "cute' jeans. old navy has them,too.

when you look good you feel good!

ps. I bought nice shoes by Salomon(at nordstrom) that have lacings that can be done with one hand...they have those squeezy things built in...love them!

hope this helps someone.

Beth

I found a two dollar long handled shoe horn that was the best investment for my money yet. I am also a fan of the elastic shoelaces too.

I have the Black & Decker Jar Opener thar doubles as a can opener too. Nice gadget to have as well.

Last, but not least, I have Dycem placed on some of my countertop area to keep things still while working in the kitchen.

Bob

Guest lwisman

I am a real fan of gadgets Whatever your problem there is probably someone who has invented a solution. Search or ask here for a specific issue. Many of us have discovered ways to solve problems and just make situations easier. :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

• 3 weeks later...

hi all:

great topic since I cook 1 handed for my family and I have found great thick plastic sheet which can be used on the cutting board, it's really godsend for me every time I chop vegetables on it and then pickup plastic sheet with 1 hand and keep on doing my cooking, has done wonders for me, I found it in some dollar store. I think I am going to invest on that can opener.

Asha

I was given a battery operated potato peeler for Christmas. I haven't used it yet but am anxious to try. Anyone using one yet?

Guest braz54

This is a great topic. Thanks for thinking about it.

I was wondering about those elastic shoelaces. Joe wears a plastic brace that goes in his shoe and wraps around the upper calf. Do you think they would work. That is the only thing he can not do by himself. We brought a pair of nice velcro sneakers but they hurt his toes, so the shoes stay for now.

I also got the cutting board with the nail things sticking up and a rim to hold bread or whatever. A jar opener that screws under the cabinet. I will have to look for the cordless can opener.

I had to take out a vanity and replaced it with a pedestal sink and had commerical grab bars put in. 2 in the tub area and one by the toilet

I brought the pulleys that go over the door and with a bad arm and shoulder it just didn't work.. Joe's arm and shoulder don't work very well. I do rom on it everyday. I did buy the bicycle that sits on the floor and Joe sits in a chair, It works WONDERFUL for his strength in his bad leg.

I did see the one handed card gadet. That works well???? Been thinking of that.

Gail :secret:

Amy,

Those shoe buttons are interest. The creativity of people trying to solve problems amazes me.

Gail,

When my husband was still wearing his brace, he was using the elastic shoe laces on his shoes and they worked just fine...never had to untie them. Did you remember to take the liner out of the shoe that is used with the brace, to give your husband more room in that shoe for the brace?

Jean

Guest braz54

Jean

I did not even think about the liners in his shoes. I will take it out tomorrow.. I just looked up the Shoe buttons, very interesting!

Gail

Archived