Hi Friends,

Yes, it's a caregiver posting in the survivor area. I have a question for you survivors who use a quad cane.

First, an observation about Bill. We do go between his wheelchair, walker and quad cane. If he has a fair distance to go we use the wheelchair because his legs hurt so much when he walks and also because he is extremely slow.

We have both made an observation this week. He doesn't use his cane or walker at home most of the time. He uses the wall for a "light touch" of stability if he needs it. He looks as though he is a real fall danger, and he probably is. However, he hasn't had a fall in well over a year, so I think he has more stability than even he feels he has.

This week we had to go to the VA so we took the chair. For any of you who maneuver that system you know nothing is close to where you check in!!! I didn't even think to take his cane. When we got back in town we went into a restaurant and for the first time since his stroke without any aid such as chair, walker OR cane. He just held my hand (which we do even if he has his cane - habit for these lovebirds, you know). He did absolutely great. He walked much faster without his cane than with and didn't stumble at all.

When we came home, we walked in without the cane and once again he did great. It seems like when he uses his cane he is concentrating so much on where to put the cane it takes forever for him to take a step. His confidence seemed to be greatly increased by NOT using his cane.

So, my question is - if you use a cane when you are out, but not when you are home, do you ever feel as though the cane is making you lose confidence when you are out or do you use it for safety? I'm not even sure exactly what I'm asking but I hope you get my point. Am I crazy for making this observation? Does he need some more therapy to help him maneuver with the cane? Do you think it is his dementia that is making it so hard for him to use the cane now (one more part in the process to "think about")?

Thanks for your input!

Ann,

I can motor around the inside of my house all day long with only using my AFO. Yet, get me outside or in a different location (as in someone else's home) and I'm as unstable (physically not mentally for those who need clarification and you KNOW who YOU are :bouncing_off_wall: ) Once I'm comfortable in that setting I can walk independent of the hemi-walker. I am though more Frankensteinish in my gait than what I am when at home. It's a combination of safety and security. As I was typing this, I had a relevation about it :uhm: - a youngster won't go anywhere without favorite toy/blankie - me, it's my hemi. Now I know I've opened myself wide open for more sassy comments....bring em on and I'll get you with my hemi :bop:

Hi Ann!!!

There is a sense of security for me in my home...I know the layout, know the floors are steady and provide stabilty. Also I know my surroundings. I became very familiar with things I could grab in case I would fall.

Like Donna, whom I would never even attempt to udder once single word choke choke, I use my AFO for the drop foot all over inside. Now outside, canes are challenging. I have learned not to use my cane in the rain because it makes surfaces less steady and when you rely on it for support...It gets scarey. Ground surfaces..From gravel, to asphalt to grass constantly change and it can make the survivor feel less sure of himself......

I use my walker for short trips around to the mailbox, chase wild ducks and with 4 wheels, it does have a great sense of "stability".....I think we should have a roll off between me and Donna on our walkers....

I hope this helps Ann

Guest furiawill

DEAR ANN,

I USE MY CANE, BECAUSE THOUGH I AM ABLE TO WALK, HOWEVER,IF I FALL DOWN i CANNOT GET UP . CANES CAN BE DANGEROUS TOO; ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS A WET FLOOR. THE CANE WANTS TO SLIP ON THE FLOOR AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU'VE FALLEN TO THE FLOOR. LONG DISTANCES, LIKE AT THE VA HOSPITAL, I USE MY POWER CHAIR. AIRPORTS THOUGH; CANES ARE VERY HANDY. HOPE THIS HELPS. "FALLING IS NOT AN OPTION" HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

BILL FURIA

STROKE SURVIVOR SINCE 1997

I think it is a security issue for Bill too. The outside is a BIG place to maneuver. The only thing I've noticed is that the cane is hindering him in his walking since it seems like he has to concentrate on where to place the cane - it isn't a natural movement anymore.

As you said, Bill - falling is NOT an option!

Thanks for all your answers. Donna, you can go ahead and chase Maria down if she even dares to make any comment about your stability.... :laughbounce:

ann, i use my cane everywhere i go and in the house. i do have to concentrate alot when using it too. if i have to walk on different surfaces like grass, gravel, thick carpeting, i do get nervous. i still use my chair for long distances though. i too have tried walking with holding on to a hand or arm, and i do better i think. i get into their pace of walking normally, plus the security of their hand in case i fall. my affected leg has a mind of its own sometimes, so i am very careful. i use a single cane. it goes with me even when i am in my chair, i guess it is my blankie. i gave up the baby bottle though, i can drink from my sippie cup now. lol

ann,

i do think of my cane as safety - protection from dogs and small children. lol. actually i find the cane to help with balance when i am outside of my condo and getting in and out of the car etc. i guess it is like kimmie suggested my blankie. if i am having a bad day i will use it inside but not usually. you do have to coordinate when using a cane and maybe the process of thinking the steps out slows bill down. my two cents ...cheers1 kathy

Hi Ann,

I do not use my cane in the house and I practice walking without it outside. However, when I am practicing, I do take Linus (my cane's name) with me and tuck her under my arm just in case. I have found that if I walk with someone and hold their arm or hand my gait is more natural - so nope - you are not nuts. : :bouncing_off_wall:

I noticed when I was still using a quad cane that I actually had to think more about the placement since all four feet had to land someplace level. That turned out to be a major problem when walking outside amongst fallen acorns. So when my wife finally convinced me to go to a single point cane I actually speeded up, along with less weight to carry.

Dean :laughbounce:

I feel equally secure with cane or hand to hold.

what I do not like is wide open places where theres nothing to hold onto in case i lose balance.

consequently indoors i end uP hugging the walls as i walk.

different"quirks" surface at different stages of walking.

My cane is my son's favourite gun.

he likes to make believe it is a five-bore AK-47.

I have a single cane and use it mainly outside. I feel secure with it because the surface can be different where I haven't been before. I use it some in the house.....mainly in the morning after sleeping all night. My affected leg needs time to wakeup. I love the electric wheelchairs but my doctor says I don't need one as I am high functioning. Bull! It would help in not making me so tired asll the time. I am grateful though as to how I am doing. The best of luck to you. :Clap-Hands:

I have migrated to not using my cane (single point) in the house. My place is small and I never have to walk very far. However, I always take my cane with me when going out. For me endurance is the issue and as I get tired I am less stable. So even if we are only going out for dinner I still take it with me in case there are unscheduled stops in the trip.

Hi

Here's my 2c worth

I use my stick inside when my leg is tired & out side - it provides that bit of extra supoort & something to lean on if standing for a while.

I tried the quad stick initially but felt LESS secure & had to concentrate on placement TOO much - so I ditched it for a regular walking stick pretty much straight away.

Hope Bill can do the same or better :D

HTH

PS My son also thinks my stick makes a great gun :lol:

I have been reading all your posts with a great deal of interest! Thank you for responding!!! I didn't mention that Bill has no periferal vision on the right side due to his hemmorhagic stroke - in fact no vision to the right of mid-nose. A major reason I hold his right hand is to protec him and others when we are outside! I can't put a sign on him saying "no vision on right" so it's safer for everybody if I do that. I've thought so often about a power chair and how nice that would be - then I think of the damage one could create! I'd have to put a "WIDE TURNS" sign AND a back-up beeper to be used when the chair goes any direction for Bill to be able to use one! It really would be nice though and would take pressure off me.

So, as I've seen, once again there are many choices to be made post-stroke. It makes me feel really good that you all feel the same way.

I asked Bill the other night if he felt "free" without the cane. His response was, "I have so many other problems it's hard to feel free." I'm sure you all can identify with that statement.

Love and hugs to all,

Sounds like it is time for him to graduate to a single point cane. Peple can become dependant on walkers, hemis and quads if they are not required to progress to a single point. After that, no cane at all!

i either use the quad cane or no cane, put me in the ward with donna, for whatever reason, the stick canes scare me more than no cane, when going shopping i find i go faster and safer holding the handle of the grocery cart, and yes part of the quad canes uses is if i stop and let go it doesn't fall over, i was constantly dropping a stick when i tried plus not getting it vertical so it would slid when on too great an angle, the quad had to be put on e fairly level piece to keep it from leaning so therefor greater care when setting down when walking, asnd that in my rambling way is my :2cents:

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings... My name is Fate. Member since '05. An ex-pro ballplayer. The stroke took me down....HARD. I went from wheel chair to quad-cane, to

regular cane. This cane did not suit me at all. It had no balance, the handle was a small curve, and offered no no sense of protection between me,

and the ground. One slip of the handle, and we're all on the floor. And I'm not the kind of person to follow a plain old stick around. So out of

necessity, came invention. My wife and I created the "RAISIN CANE". So perfect in so many ways. I don't leave home without mine!! Custome

made, and fit. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, loves it.

For security purposes I can't say much more. If you're interested, please read my post, "SOUL DECLARATION"!! It's right below your post. I'll say this.

All my life I've been very agile. A cane never entered my mind. Neither did a stroke. I'm very grateful that with the help of THE cane, I get around very

well. Whatever it takes to improve your lifestyle.Take care, Fate.

Hi Ann,

I do not use my cane in the apartment, and if I go to the laundry( about 200 ft. away) I don't take it either, just the laundry cart.

I can understand what he's up to when you see him walking around touching the wall, he's building stamina just as I used to, just before I switched from quad cane to regular stick. I used to get out of the wheelchair, fold it up against the wall when we went to a resturant, and walk to the table. He's feeling his wings, let him try but keep an eye on him till he's more confident and stronger. I'm so pleased to hear he has the confidence to venture on his own without help :sleazy:

I left the quad cane for a real cane as soon as I had enough balance to do it - ( not quite as obvious when walking in public.

If I know I have a distance to travel I use my light (14 lb chair) , if the distance is not far I use the cane (I can walk more normally with outr tiring so quickly with it). In the home and short distance I just walk - though fatigue sets in with distance and a resting spot is required. In the home the floors are level and support is always near so I never use anything in the home. One of my fond memories is the first few times I went out of the house to get into the car and forgot my cane. Work with balance until the cane is just a support aid.

[!

Thanks for all your answers. Donna, you can go ahead and chase Maria down if she even dares to make any comment about your stability.... :laughbounce:

How'd I get involved in this??? I didn't say a word.

I didn't even pass comment on the Am I nuts question and I'm still in trouble ~~ So I think this might answer that question FYI I don't pick on Donna she's a nice lady

Me thinks your immediate supervisor is having some "fun" with ya lol. As for chasing you down - unless I was on my power chair at top speed, you'd be quite safe. Now...you go after my chocolate creme filled Krispy Kremes and I'll get you :chase: :swordfight:

Ha Ha I'm back and hope you have more than one chocolate krispy creme... although I love the strawberry cruellers...

Ok Anne... I no longer use a cane.. although there are times ... especially in large areas it would be better... to KEY other people that I am slower and not 100 % stable (ok... no wise remarks here either..lol) I have more problems when I have to get something off the bottom shelf and then get back up.....

I have some peripheral vision loss also... so the cane or having someone beside me is a big help ...spatially...

This may sound "weird" but some of feeling stable and balanced is how big the area is.. how much lighting and how much "stuff"

In Wal Mart I always have a cart... which gives me balance and a "space" the lighting is Bright and there is a LOT to look at and try to focus on.

Over the years. I have learned to narrow my focus down to what I am looking for.. and look at a small section.. not try to look at a whole shelf or section.

I think it is harder for "our brains" and we get a rush or overload of color, things and we azre trying to balance and watch out for other fast moving people.

I feel more secure in store with someone with me. and when I am walking holding someones hand, I only have to focus on what is ahead... and I also have a "pace " for walking and putting my feet.

Bonnie

Couldn't resist putting in my 3cents. :forgive_me?: I use a quad cane In the house I often go au'natural=NO CANE, just AFO. :happydance: bUT WHEN I AM ALONE i FEEL i NEED IT. My PT guy is trying to get me to use a single cane. I took one to the school office one day and I was scared the whole time! I find that if I am in a place w/ lots of people I don't feel secure w/o my QUAD. The single just wasn't enuf. Nobody else noticed my fumbling, but I DID! sO IS MY QUAD A "CRUTCH, YA' IT IS, HUH? :blah_blah: When I am in crowded situations my leg gets very stiff and I have a hard time relaxing and cruising w/ my good-gate-flow. At home or in secure environments I could probably easily use a single and often use -0-. So, for me, some of it is emotional too. :roflmao: Like when i go to movies, I have to wait to leave after everyone else has left. Cuz people are sometimes not sensitive and they can bump into you.... :dribble: that scares me.!!!!!!!!

Guest lwisman

Canes (and other aids) which help stroke survivors seem to vary a lot in effectiveness with the type of stroke. Some people do better with one type, others with other types. I think it is a trial and error situation.

Immediately after my stroke I had 0% balance. It has improved greatly. I now walk around the house -- where I and everyone else present knows my deficits -- without any aids. When I go outside or am around a lot of people I use a rollator. When I am using it, it is very obvious I have a problem. This deals with the issue of people who are blind to other's problems.

The therapists moved me to two quads canes. I found I was frustrated, because I could not carry anything. The rollator, which has a removable tray, a basket. a seat and a cup holder instantly broadened my world. Also, for me, it was a more natural walk. The seat was helpful in the beginning because it meant if I was out I always had somewhere to sit down.

I went to a meeting one time where a therapist said that a straight cane was easier. I don't agree with her that that is true in all situations. Use whatever works for you and lets you be the most independent.

Hi Anne....

I use my cane (single point) very little around my flat......there's a lot of surfaces I can referent with, and I know where they are.....I also have a brace...

The exception, I always use it at nite on a potty run (no brace then).....Usually a little muzzy with sleep....

Outside, I always use the cane....don't have a walker of any kind.....

When I was in Boot Camp (acute rehab) they had me using a tripod cane right away, I was too clumsy with the quad cane.....And things got better with the single point.....

Grocery shopping....I use the cart, and store the cane in the basket.....

A friend drives and brings the groceries in for me.....

Anyway, after about a half hour of limping around using the cart, I have left the cane *in* the cart and gone part way home....Fortunately, canes are apparently not an item for ripoff with opportunity...it's been there in the cart when I've returned....

I actually like the thing....and I think I'm gonna get a backup std one, and also a designer type.....

I'd like to find one like Lon Chaney had (the right length, tho) in The Wolfman......

Protect me even from werewolves, it would..... :big_grin:

Archived