Hi Anne ~

I'm like Dean I left rehab w/ walker & quad can. But the quad cane was a burden. Had to concentrate

more where to place it. Had to g0!!! Larger thing to land on the floor other than my feet. Switched to single cane.

Grocery store put my cane in cart & use the cart for balance. Home don't use cane. Any place other than

home have to use cane but airport I use wheelchair which every airport has. (Mind You don't travel hardly @

all) went to Mexico w/ family last spring break. Was great once i got there. :cocktail:

My husband bought me a golf cart some months ago for our river property. It was fun going places w/ cane

in place where you would have clubs. Felt independent!!! :cheer: We changed to a Polaris. Have to get use to

power. Golf cart didn't have 4-wheel drive. Kids love it to...Liberty & independence to all...Take care my friend

ps.. also in the snow & ice i got a prong that goes on tip of can. You have to switch it up when you go inside.

Hi Annie

I'm home now I use nothing to walk around the house the more I do it the better I get, when I,m out I use a cane most people give me room if I have a cane, I now go shoping with my wife(care giver)God bless you all we love you we do but it just gets all mixed up in our heads I should say my head.

any way when I go shoping which is more often now I use the shoping cart as an aid,my wife saids that when using the cart It seem to her and others I'm fine. so you are not nuts, but be ready for the day when he said I have or I can do this I not a baby. My wife went though it! and stay strong. (God caregiver are the greatest gift from God) the world is a scary place when you are learning to walk again something I have been doing all my life it was easer as a child. God and my wife keep me strong.

George

Hi All,

I've been catching up on all the chater about canes. I do agree with you, Lin, in that the cane situation depends on the part of the brain affected by the stroke.

We were at the new house yesterday and Bill had his cane. I could tell the "wide open spaces" of the rooms unfurnished were rather intimidating for him. I'm sure that once we get the furniture in he'll be able to cruise around without his cane, just like he does here.

I do think the quad cane is still causing some problems for Bill due to his reduced sequencing abilities, however, I don't think he's really stable enough for a single point cane. He does just naturally reach out his hand for mine now when we re outside.

He has another complicating factor that has reduced his ability to walk any great distances and that is the pain he has in the calves of his legs. I think it may be the zocor, but there is little alternitiv for him. We'll just have to ask the doctor when he has his next appointment. I thought it was circulation problems at one time, but I really do think it's the zocor now. He describes it as muscle cramps. He's had the arteries in one leg done and since it is both legs I don't think it is the blood flow. We shall see though.

Thanks again everyone for your responses!!

• 3 weeks later...

I never used a cane.

It always seemed like a hinderance and I needed to concentrate so hard to figure out where to place it and it didn't see to lend the support I needed. The walker was scary since it always seemed like it would flip over!

I guess the fear of those devices made me VERY determined to walk on my own...

Archived